Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What do old wives really know???

When it comes to gender prediction, many people have their "Old Wives Tale" tricks to figuring out if a pregnant woman will have a boy or a girl.

For the past two months, my mom has asked me to conduct one test that she believes to be conclusive. She believes in this test because she got accurate results when she was pregnant with first me and then two years later with my brother, Sean.

This test is the one and only Drano test and is not recommended for a pregnant woman to conduct on her own for reasons you are about to learn.
Yesterday, I finally agreed to conduct this gender experiment. First, I needed to purchase the Drano. Let me tell you, CRYSTAL Drano is not in many grocery stores. I went to three stores before I could find the number one ingredient to this superstitious test. Finally, in a little hardware store I hit the jackpot... and they made one too... Crystal Drano is like $10!

So, upon my arrival at my mom's house, she insisted I urinate in a plastic cup. I had already told her that I had read the fumes from the Drano can be toxic and I wanted to keep my space from the chemicals. She agreed that she would conduct the test, all she needed was the pee-pee.
So, I obliged quite willingly ( being pregnant- you have to "go" a lot.)


I handed her my "sample" and she proceeded to conduct her "old wives tale" trick in the bathroom. Only one problem....

As she poured the "sample" onto the "predictor crystals" in another plastic cup they started fizzing and smoking. Before she knew it the entire bathroom was filled with smoke-like toxic gas and the plastic cup began to melt right there in her hand. With her hand burning and lungs coughing for oxygen, we decided that we should take this show outside.



Next, my mom poured the lovely blue crystals into a blue dish. The same thing happened, lots of smoke, and in the end, because the dish was blue, we could not tell the results. Our results to round two were inconclusive, of course. Test number three came next. She returned from the kitchen with a little glass dish that was white. She poured the pee over the crystals and we waited... and waited...
The secret to this "test" is that the crystals will turn "Army Green" ( according to my mom, however I have also read that it turns brown. The old wives tale says that if Drano turns dark green or brown its a boy, if there is no change its a girl.)




It didn't look remotely green or even have a hint of brown. It remained blue, until we poured it out.That's when we saw a hint of olive green, which left us scratching our heads.

( I guess it looks a little green inthis photo-- who knows)


So, after three attempts, it was fair to say that our results remain inconclusive.


Shortly after that, we did the wedding ring on a hair over my belly test... it went in circles...
whatever that means...

Anyway, we may find out if all of the "Old Wives" out there really have the facts right around Mother's Day. I really hope to know by then!

No comments: